Idolatry simply put is created things worshiping created things instead of the Creator. It’s a snare to the Christian heart and only leads to suffering. Today we are looking at a few idols in Biblical times as well as some modern day idols and two solutions to idol worship.
Become an SPF Teammate for $5 a month
Do you enjoy the SPF podcast? Would you consider coming alongside me with a $5 monthly gift? This helps take the financial pressure off hosting fees and equipment and software costs. Plus you get exclusive access to some member-only goodies!!
To become a teammate or learn more go to www.patreon.com/sheprovesfaithful
Life Hack - Saving for Christmas
A dance mom friend told me this great idea to save for Christmas gifts throughout the year: at the end of each month use whatever cash is leftover to buy a gift card to a store you like to shop at (Target, Amazon, etc). Then at Christmas you can use those gift cards to shop for gifts without adding extra financial pressure to that month.
Idolatry: Then and Now
Idolatry is the worship of created things rather than the ONE and Only Creator.
Romans 1:25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
Idolatry is dangerous because we get to decide who God is and what God does.
Asherath and Baal - idols of the past
- goddess and god of a particular power
- changed per culture
- worshipped through immorality and depravity including prostitution, child sacrifice, and self mutilation
- proved to be snares to God's people
- mutable - always changing to fit desires and needs of culture
- only powerful in certain areas
Joshua 24 and Judges 2
But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Looks a little different - we don’t carve images really
But it’s evident what idols are vying for our hearts when we look at our culture.
Learning from men like Dr. Greg Bahnsen and Dr. Joseph Boot my husband says, “Culture is the public expression of private worship; whatever is worshipped the most privately, will be the dominate force publicly.”
Dominate force publicly - socialism
Private idol is greed and covetousness
Dominate force publicly - fluidity of gender
Private idol - feelings
Dominate force publicly - social media addiction
Private idol - self
modern day idols:
- Social media addiction - an endless feedback loop of affirmation
- Government - looking for salvation from the government
- Naturalism and Science - a rejection of biblical creation and worldview and embracing atheistic evolution and earth preservation
- Self-care - self care is rooted in self worship of my needs. I’m not saying it’s a sin to want to go get coffee by yourself or to have some peace and quiet time, but to say it’s necessary takes it to worship.
It all boils down to SELF AGGRANDIZEMENT - which means the fulfillment of the self to the exclusion of all others and their needs and desires.
What’s the solution to idolatry?
Know the true God and obey his commands
Do you duty - your calling as Christians - to teach your children and tell others.
“God is not a God who tolerates you. He is God who loves you. He is a God who desires you.” Paul Washer
Got Questions article on modern day idolatry: https://www.gotquestions.org/idolatry-modern.html
SPF Podcast Episode 49: Social Media Battle with Laura Ferguson
Free Bible Reading Plan: Sign up here www.sheprovesfaithful.com/bible