You may have heard of a conversion story, but what about a de-conversion story? There is a temptation to turn away from the good and certain Word of God when we don’t understand something, instead of pressing into the Scriptures. Today we are talking about uncertainty, certainty, and four reasons the law of God is a gift to us.
Become a Teammate!
Want to be a part of helping women hear the Gospel and think biblically? Join the team with a gift of $5 a month on patreon.com/sheprovesfaithful (or find out more info).
Other ways to support the show:
Leave a review on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/podcast-she-proves-faithful/id1116242133?mt=2
Explore Amazon Affiliate Links - by clicking on links and exploring products I love, you can help support the podcast.
Like Audible! We LOVE audible! You can try it free for a month and get two audiobooks free (and you get to keep them even if you don't continue your audible subscription)
Friends of a Feather Podcast
Take a listen to Friends of a Feather Podcast where Wren asked me questions about my open heart surgery, miscarriages, and how I've hoped in God.
Friends of a Feather Podcast episode
Spiritual Spring Cleaning Webinar with Rachel Jankovic
Canon Press is hosting a four week webinar with author and mom, Rachel Jankovic. You can sign up with a group of women and receive a discount!
For more information and to register: http://canonpress.com/spiritual-spring-cleaning-live-webinar-with-rachel-jankovic/
The Deconversion Story
The article my husband sent me that set this whole thing off: Jen Hatmaker - Changing my mind about the Bible
Kruger writes an incredibly articulate article about the Power of Deconversion stories
- Christian testimonies are a powerful way to explain our faith in a God who saves us from our sin
- De-conversion story is not for the lost necessarily but for the Christian
- Kruger says the purpose is to “convince them that their outdated naive believes are no longer worthy of their assent.
- They thought they’ve seen the light, but now they’ve REALLY seen the light
One element common of deconversion story - the Word of God is just not certain.
That's a lie.
The Bible is certain.
In all the uncertainties of life, isn't the certainty of God's Word a comfort to us?!
The Certainty of God's Word
2 Peter 1:16-21
Two evidences of the certainty of Scripture:
2. Trustworthy documents
SPF Podcasts about the Word:
- Podcast http://www.sheprovesfaithful.com/podcast/episode39 How to rightly handle the Word of Truth
- Are God’s Words enough for our lives http://www.sheprovesfaithful.com/podcast/episode27
Is the Bible True http://www.sheprovesfaithful.com/podcast/episode25
One HUGE Reason it’s important to be sure about God’s Word
- It tells us where and what darkness is
- It tells us how to overcome it
How is the darkness overcome?
John 1 : 1-5
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life,[a] and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Four Blessings of the Law
- Displays God’s Glory
- Reveals our depravity - Romans 3:20 For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.
- Demonstrates God’s grace and power (to give us a heart to obey, and a WAY TO OBEY)
- Show us to be God’s people - good fruit, called to a holy life
2 Timothy 4:1-4
Be sober minded and watchful - there are false teachers that will pander to our emotions, to worldly passions.
Ligonier Sermon (I believe this is the one that speaks about the man who was converted because of the accuracy of the historicity of the Bible) https://www.ligonier.org/learn/sermons/zeus-and-hermes/
Here are two of Rachel Jankovic's books. I've read Fit to Burst and really enjoyed it!