Should women know theology? What is theology? Why is it important? Let’s find out. Plus 5 ways theology has changed me.
Partner with the SPF Podcast!
The SPF Podcast happens with the support of generous ladies across the globe.
Want to join in? Here are a few ways:
1. Partner with SPF on Patreon for $5 a month + get member perks!
Find out more: patreon.com/sheprovesfaithful
2. Explore my Amazon links - they are affiliate links of my most recommended resources and your clicks and purchases from the links go to funding this podcast! At no cost to you!! Woo!
3. Try Audible for a month on Amazon FREE + get two FREE audiobooks to keep forever.
Learn more here:
Banner of Grace Boutik
Check out with sister's Rachel and Becca are doing over at bannerofgraceboutik.com - Rachel is helping her sister contribute and develop a skill and use her gifts for God's glory by painting pictures and selling them. Rachel and Becca are twins, but Becca has cerebral palsy.
Check out their site and artwork here: http://www.bannerofgraceboutik.com/
Should Women Know Theology?
Should women know theology - yes - actually, I think it’s imperative that we as women pursue the knowledge of theology. I think it’s imperative we become better THEOLOGIANS!
Theology: the study of God
Theology is not just an understanding of God, but an application of our understanding of God.
But everyone is a theologian because we all have a view of God.
Why is it imperative for women to know theology?
- Because it gives us a right view of God.
- It gives us a right view of ourselves.
- It gives us a right view of our circumstances.
- It shows Gods Lordship, Sovereignty, Wisdom, Love, Justice, Holiness - over all things.
- It is TRUTH. and the truth sets us free.
- “Truth works"
High view of theology with lead to more and more freedom.
Practical Theology for Women
Wendy Alsup has an excellent book called, "Practical Theology for Women" that I recommend! She talkes about good theology is important because it gives us an accurate faith.
Reminds us that theology is incredibly practical - it gives us the foundation of our faith and Hebrews tells us without faith it is impossible to please God
Theology is about knowing God but also appropriating that truth to our lives!
Five Ways Theology has Changed Me
- Better interpretation of Scripture which has given me greater joy and assurance
- Helped me defend the faith and articulate it more clearly - to instruct what is right and good and true
- Theology has helped me understand the biblical role of church and pastors
- Theology has helped me leave behind anxiety
- Theology has helped me do hard things
Great Resources for Growing in Theology
Here are some great ways to grow as better theologians:
- Read the Bible whole chapters at a time and research the book of the Bible - who wrote it, to who, why, what was going on at the time?
- Study the Word - do a inductive or investigative Bible study - templates are online
- Read good theologians - J.C. Ryle, Charles Spurgeon, Wayne Grudem
- Listen to good sermons - R.C. Sproul, Steven Lawson, Charles Spurgeon
Websites that are helpful:
- logos.com (there is a free lite app version)
- Matthew Henry Commentary