Joy is an uncontrolled hope in the God who Is. Joy delights in God and His ways, and can be present no matter the circumstances. This sounds very appealing, but how do we cultivate this heart of joy? Today we are talking about joy, the struggles, and a few examples that will help us understand it all a little better.
Joy of the Lord
The joy of the Lord begins with abiding in Christ - John 15
Joy is a fruit of the Spirit - Galatians 5:22
What Do Joyful People Do?
- Joyful people share the Gospel - Matthew 28
- Joyful people have fellowship with others - 1 John 1:7
- Joyful people delight in what God delights in - Psalm 103
- Joyful people are thankful - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
- Joyful people serve - Romans 12
- Joyful people worship and sing to the Lord - Colossians 3
The Struggles and Solutions
There are struggles that can steal our joy but the Bible gives solutions:
- Complacency / Repentance Romans 3:1-3
- Fear of Man / Fear of God 2 Samuel 6, Psalm 112:1
- Pain (emotional and physical) / eternal perspective Luke 22, Hebrews 12:1-2
- Anger and Bitterness / Repentance Psalm 37:8
Bible Examples and Personal Study
Read John 4 and Philippians 4 at these two examples of contentment and joy. What is the source of joy?
What are some of your struggles with joy? What is the biblical solution?
Sign up for the FREE SPF Bible Reading Plan: Sheprovesfaithful.com/bible
Counseling the Hard Cases
A great book to give us wisdom as we make disciples and come across hard issues.
A great little read on virtues of Christian women.