It’s no secret I love the Instagram. I love the pictures, I love the stories, I love the likes. Smart phones and social medial platforms have been inserted into our daily routines. They make life better in so many ways, but there are some heart level issues when it comes to our social media usage. Today I talk with guest, Laura Ferguson about some red flags to look out for on social media and six boundaries for ambassadors of Christ.
Some of my Favorite Take-Aways
- Often we want to know that we are chosen in others areas, by other people, when being chosen by God is what will really satisfy.
- Social media can lead to a distracted mind rather than a sound mind.
- Before we are filled with other people's words (on social media), let's be filled with God's Words and be like the mighty and strong tree in Psalm 1
Six Boundaries for Ambassadors of Christ
Laura came up with six boundaries that we can implement to help our hearts severe ties with a need for social media. Social media isn't inherently good or bad, it's a tool, but can sometimes become an idol. When you notice your heart strings singing for Instagram or to be noticed and liked by others to validate you, take a look at some of these boundaries:
- Set limits on the times of day you use social media
- Utilize the privacy feature to shut down notifications at certain times of the day
- Protect your purity when it comes to who you follow
- Honor your husband with your social media usage
- Never choose your phone over your kids
- Get time with the Lord before you get time with social media
Amazon links are affiliate link which means SPF gets a small commission if you click or purchase from these links at NO additional cost to you! Thank you!
12 Ways Your Phone is Changing You - Reinke
I have not personally read this book, but statistics from the Podcast are referenced from Tony Reinke's research and the forward is written by John Piper. You can see an info graphic from this book HERE
Laura lives in Minnesota with her hunky Canadian husband and two children, Malachi and Hazel. She loves talking about the Lord, singing about the Lord, and contemplating the every day happenings of her life with the Lord. She loves coffee and is an extroverted introvert and loves instilling God's truth into the lives of women. You can learn more about her HERE.