Proverbs 31:30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last; but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised. Today we are talking about the fear of the Lord, what it produces in our lives and be spurred on and encouraged by some stories of women who feared the Lord and thus were a great influence in the advancement of Christianity.
What is the Fear of the Lord?
Knowing the holiness, awesomeness, supremity of God and responding with reverent fear of who He is and who we are.
- God is the uncaused cause
- God has always existed
- God created everything that ever was or is or will bee
- God has supreme power and authority - including over our bodies AND our souls
- Isaiah was full of dread in the presence of the Holy God
- Job put his hands over his mouth after questioning God and realizing Job was made from dust
- Perfect love casts out fear because fear has to do with punishment.
- We don't have to fear eternal punishment if Jesus has forgiven our sins
Scriptures to read:
1 John 4
Check out the Salt and Light Podcast Episode on the Fear of the Lord:
Good Fruits that come from the Fear of the Lord
- The fear of the Lord produces a God-centered Worldview Colossians 1:16, Acts 17:24-27
- The fear of the Lord produces an awareness of sin 2 Corinthians 7:1
- The fear of the Lord produces wisdom Proverbs 9:10
- The fear of the Lord fuels our evangelism 1 Corinthians 5:11
- The fear of the Lord frees us from the fear of man Proverbs 29:25, Psalm 56:11
Women in History who Feared the Lord
On this podcast episode I read portions from two chapters out of the book "Radiant - 50 Remarkable Women in Church History" by Richard Hannula
Please grab a copy and be encouraged and spurred on by these women who loved the Lord and feared Him alone.
Stories we discussed:
Perpetua - Early Church / 181-203 / martyred for her faith in Christ
Margaret Nisbet - Reformation / 1635-1683 / persecuted for her faith and exiled
Buy the book here:
This is an affiliate link which means I make a small portion to help keep the SPF Podcast going at no additional cost to you.