Why do families exist? What is God's plan for the family? Answering these questions provide a foundational understanding to God's plan of reaching the ends of the earth with His salvation. Homes are not spiritual delegation centers, but parent led discipleship centers. In this two part series we will learn God's plan for the family and how to practically turn your home into a hub of gospel-centered discipleship. Today we are getting practical answering HOW do we prove faithful in the home? How do we make our homes discipleship centers?
Support the SPF Podcast!
Hey! Have you been encouraged by the podcast? If so, consider supporting this work in one of these ways:
1. Become a member by giving $5 a month on patreon.com/sheprovesfaithful and get access to member only resources - including exclusive sneak peeks at the upcoming DWELL Handbook.
2. Check out audible for free - that's right, when you sign up with my link, you get to try Audible for free, you get two free audiobooks and it supports the podcast!
3. Clink Amazon links on the show notes! I get a small kickback for referring resources to you that I love :)
Life Hack - Homemade Magic Shell for Ice-cream
Here's an easy DELICIOUS home-made ice-cream topping! Think deconstructed Klondike bar!
I use equal parts coconut oil (melted) and cocao powder and then sweetened with maple syrup to taste.
But I found this picture and recipe by mommypotomus than you can follow along!
Yum Yum Yum - get the recipe here: https://www.mommypotamus.com/homemade-magic-shell-recipe/
God's Plan for Family Part 2
God’s vision is that each generation would know and worship Him and then teach the next generation to do the same! Children are important to God’s plan, as we saw in the creation of the world, after the flood, and even in Malachi when God’s people were being rebuked for recklessly divorcing one another because it impacts His desire for godly offspring.
And we also called to mind that whether we have children or not, we are all called to make disciples of Christ. The great commission to go and make disciples lines up with the great commandment to be fruitful and multiple!
But if we do have children, God has some very specific instructions for us laid out clearly in His Word. That means parents are to create a discipleship-hub within their home. A place where God is taught, talked about, and honored. A place where we are repenting of our sin and growing in our knowledge of God. A place where our loyalty is to the One and only Triune God.
Turning Homes into Discipleship-Hubs
4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[b] 5 You shall love the Lordyour God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. 8 You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 9 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. - Deuteronomy 6:4-8
- we need to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul and might
- Mark our homes as monotheistic
- "Love is the act of the will, accompanied by emotion that leads to action on behalf of it’s object." - Voddie Bauchaum
- We need to teach our children to love God
- Deut 6 is not just about our kids memorizing verses, but the enculturation of our children. That everything they do is for the glory of God and the praise of His name. That they learn a heart level loyalty to the only God who saves them from their wickedness.
- By committing God’s commands to memory and they would become a wellspring of knowledge - a guide to know how to live abundantly.
Keeping these three things in mind will help us create a foundation for discipleship hub in the home (via Voddie Baucham talk)
- Saturate them with the word of God
- Educate them with a Christian Worldview
- Mentor them with a vision for God's glory
Practical Tools for a Discipleship Hub
- Family Worship - Family Worship is making the teaching and worship of God a focus of the home every day in a set aside time with the whole family. (Find out more at sheprovesfaithful.com/podcast/episode78 )
- Memorization - Catechism and Verse Memory
- Teaching obedience and worship of God when disciplining, correcting, and training
- Teach to pray
Follow Kristina on Instagram and be encouraged with practical godly parenting tips: https://www.instagram.com/bear__squirrel/
Family Worship podcast: sheprovesfaithful.com/podcast/episode78